I was lucky enough to get my hands on the Today’s Special Value Clarisonic Plus Sonic Skin Cleansing System more than a week ago, and also had some training on the brand from the company. So I thought I’d share some tips and hints with you – I’ve been very impressed.
I know many of you have bought previous versions of the Clarisonic and loved it. This one is brilliant because it also includes a body brush head as well as the facial brush, plus it comes with lots of extra goodies: a selection of cleansers, a body exfoliator AND a bonus box with yet more products and three more heads!
It also comes in a lovely selection of floral prints as well as the standard white – I got the pale green which looks really fresh and pretty in the bathroom.
So here are my top tips for getting the most out of your Clarisonic Plus:
1. This sounds really basic, but make sure you put it in the charger the right way round! Apparently there have been customers thinking theirs was faulty because it wasn’t charging properly, and it then emerged they were putting it into the charger backwards. It needs to go in as seen in my picture, not the other way round!
2. You really need to charge it up for a full 24 hours before you start using it – patience…
3. Remember this is NOT a facial exfoliator, and shouldn’t be used as such. It’s for deep cleansing the face, and that’s why it’s fine to use it twice a day. However on the body, it’s a brilliant exfoliator. You can use Clarisonic’s own brand exfoliator with the body brush, or use one of your own favourites – however, it’s recommended that you use an exfoliator that contains round beads like jojoba beads, and not the more gritty type.
The Clarisonic is a sealed unit so it’s perfectly safe to take it into the bath or shower with you. It’s great for helping to get rid of dry dead skin and ideal for preparing your skin for self-tanning. It’s also perfect for deep cleansing areas of the body that you feel need some extra attention.
4. Don’t press too hard on the skin. If you do, it stops the bristles moving (they oscillate an incredible 300 times per second!). All you need to do is move the brush very gently across your skin in a small circular movement, a bit like you would with a sonic toothbrush.
5. You can use the Clarisonic to remove your make up (except eye make up!) but some people, including me, prefer to remove most make up manually first and then do a second cleanse with the Clarisonic. Double cleansing like that is the way most salon facials begin, and it’s incredible how squeaky clean your skin feels afterwards.
6.The timer on the Clarisonic is brilliant because it tells you exactly how long to use it on each area of the face. The one-minute setting is recommended – 20 seconds on your forehead, 20 seconds on nose and chin, and then 10 seconds on each cheek. So quick and easy! When you put the body brush head on the unit automatically recognises it and auto-sets itself to three minutes – it’s very clever.
I’ve only been using it for a week or so, so it’s too early to see any real difference, but my skin certainly feels incredibly fresh and clean after use. This version of the Clarisonic is the one used by professionals in salons and high-end spas like Gleneagles and Ragdale Hall – among its benefits are the fact that it cleanses so well that products you use afterwards, like eye creams and moisturisers, absorb much better.
It’s also said to help reduce oily areas, dry skin patches and blemishes and reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. Sounds good to me, and so far I’m really enjoying using it. If you decide to try it for yourself, I’d love to hear what you think, either by leaving a comment on this blog or on my Twitter account, @jackiekabler. Thanks!
Love Jackie x