Full of flavour and colour, these rolls are sure to become a breakfast favourite. Find delicious serving suggestions at the bottom.
Red Onion and Caper Rolls
7g dry yeast
500g plain flour
225ml warm water
1 large egg
3 tbsp rapeseed oil
1 ¼ tsp salt
1 tsp rapeseed oil
1 red onion, finely diced
30g capers, drained and roughly chopped
- Line a baking sheet with a silicone mat or parchment paper.
- Place yeast into bowl of a large stand mixer; using the paddle attachment combine 100g flour and warm water until smooth. Let stand until mixture is foamy, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add in the egg, oil, sugar, and salt and thoroughly combine with the yeast mixture. Add remaining flour, red onions and capers
- Fit a dough hook onto stand mixer and knead the dough on low speed until soft and sticky, 5 to 6 minutes. Scrape sides if needed.
- Transfer dough onto a floured work surface; dough will be sticky and elastic but not stick to your fingers. Form the dough lightly into a smooth, round shape
- Wipe out stand mixer bowl, drizzle olive oil into the bowl, and turn dough over in the bowl several times to coat surface thinly with oil. Cover bowl with a damp clean tea towel. Place the dough in a warm place and allow to prove until doubled in size, about 2 hours.
- Once doubled in size, transfer the dough to a floured work surface and lightly knead to burst all the bubbles. Divide the dough into 6 and shape into small rolls
- Cover with a layer of greased cling film and place back into a warm space to prove again, about one hour.
- Place in a preheated oven to 190C, 170C fan, gas mark 5.
- Place in the oven until lightly browned on top, 15 to 17 minutes.
- Place on a cooling rack and allow to cool completely.
Slice in half and serve with H Forman’s Smoked Salmon and a poached egg and hollandaise for the most delicious Eggs Royale or with Green Seasons roasted gammon and hollandaise for divine Eggs Benedict.