– Me and daughter – a lovely trip to see my girl in Bath
– me and son – (and daughter-in-law to be) – a lovely trip to see 'The 39 Steps' at the theatre
– Catching up with the Bare Minerals girls – and meet Mr Rogers! And a peek at their new pressed products at a fab press launch
– An action packed Leap Day – in more ways than one!
– Plus Simon Brown's unusual pan knobs… in this week's blooper!
A lovely week of family stuff
What a pleasure it is to take the time out to go down to Bath to see my lovely daughter Lauren every so often. She lives there now, working as a hotel receptionist in one of the boutique hotels in the city.
Anyway – we had a fab girlie evening, with all the new Laura Geller make-up, and our feet up, watching old episodes of 'Sex & The City'!
Talking of feet, we went to the Nails Inc place in town during our retail therapy trip on the Saturday, and I managed to get a pedi-mani – in 'Jermyn St' taupe shade of course, couldn't resist it! Even though the new 'Baker St' blue was all over their displays!
Plus we had a wonderful lunch in Giraffe – see EAT section below! I do miss her, so it's lovely to have a proper mummy and Lolly session every so often! Some of you know what it's like when your kids go away to uni (and then spread their wings!), don't you? Am very happy for her though as she's doing well! I left her with our photo scanner, and three boxes of pics to scan for me – about time I got archive copies!
Then on Monday to celebrate my boy's 25th birthday this week, I treated Brad – and his fiancée Kari – to a nice steakhouse meal, then a fun theatre show – 'The 39 Steps'. Now it's a fascinating little theatre – The Criterion, right on Piccadilly Circus – and it's got so much history.
Not a lot of people know this (!) but apart from the vestibule, the entire theatre is underground! And it dates back to 1874, although much of the décor is 1930s – perfectly preserved and a maze of corridors and bars that lead into the snug little theatre.
The ideal venue for a farce like 'The 39 Steps'! Highly recommended – and this week's WATCH – see below. See Footnotes for a teaser.
P.S. this sign made me smile as we exited the show – considering I'd just had my Nails Inc manicure freshly done, here's a pic of 'Jermyn St' colour next to one of the exits!
The press launch was a day full of beauty journalists and peeps like me coming to a snazzy hotel in Covent Garden to hear about the brand new range launching in May on QVC – called 'Ready'!
It's a clever little range of compact shadows, blushers and mineral veil, made with fabulous cold-pr essed oils, including borage and camellia. I'll bring you more info in April, when if enough of you say you'd like to take part, I'll ask for a little prize so I can run a little competition to win one of the press packs featuring some of the new range!
Meanwhile, do join the girls on Friday 2nd March here at QVC – 4pm – for their live audience show, should be fun. Mr Rogers won't be making an appearance, but at least when they mention him you'll now know what he looks like!
Once every four years – did you take the leap?
Don't panic! I didn't! But did you? Yes this year, my son's birthday was one day late, as February had its extra day that helps to keep our time in alignment with our seasons!
I must say there were all sorts of mentions of Leap Day on the internet this week, Facebook and Twitter, with some loving it and some hating it! We hope you enjoyed our four Easy Pay day, specially to mark the occasion of a once in every four years event! Some of the deals may still be available on our website, so check them out before they disappear!
BUT I have to say this was one of the funniest links I found. WARNING! It's a hilarious clip, with one poor love-struck lady's attempts at getting a man's interest – can seriously damage your health if you are sensitive please don't listen! Lol! It's 8 minutes long and it's from a radio show in New Zealand…
Otherwise, if you had an unexpected turn down on Leap Day (I don't expect you'll own up to it if you did!) maybe hearing it will make you feel better! 'Cos you can't be as bad as her… can you? Can you?!
You may also enjoy 'He's Just Not That Into You' – a fab film with a lesson worth learning for all unrequited loves out there! Required viewing for all teenage girls and some older-age girls too! For previous review on it please see my earlier blog featuring this film.
Simon Brown's unusual pan knobs – during a fun packed kitchen show last week! Need I say more?!
– Remember a few weeks ago I went to a writing course in St Albans, with pal Liz? Well one of the workshops I did was on comedy writing, with a stand up comedian called Brian Higgins. Well blow me down if I didn't go to the Red Bar last-Wednesday-of-the-month comedy night in Dorking and he was the last act on! Ali and I really enjoyed it. If she's brave enough, she'll perform there herself in May! Rather her than me!
– Gracie, one of my four pogs made me laugh this week – Holly the Elder had beaten her to it into the dog bed near the warm radiator, but that didn't stop my mischevious two-year-old pup trying to crowd her out! Little mutt! She gave up after a while though – Holly's not for moving!
– Red Carpet show last Sunday – what a difference make-up, hairbrush and half an hour makes! Before and afters – need I say more?!! Lolol
– The meaning of life according to Siri. If you are one of our QVC originals, you may recall a certain Jon Briggs presenting the very first hour with Julia Roberts. Well if you have an iPhone, you may be aware that he is now the voice of Siri! That's the voice-activated iPhone 4S service that saves you typing – you talk to your phone – like, 'remind me to get milk today', and it'll create a reminder on your phone! One day they might be able to actually make it buy the milk, but for now, you can have fun asking it funny questions, like 'what's the meaning of life'? Here was the reply, doing the rounds on Facebook this week.
– Fave Facebook saying this week though? This wonderful tribute to our childhoods – anyone who's over – what? – 35, wouldn't you say (?!) will love this!
– Twit pic – this one made me laugh out loud (LOL) – does it you?! I used to use the 'naughty step' – my equivalent was the front door mat. It worked! Mostly! But if I'd had strong enough tape, this would have been an alternative! (not really! Hehe). We called my son Bradley the Hun when he was going through the terrible twos! What were your kids like? And what were your solutions?! Thank goodness he's turned out so well now! 🙂
– The psychic lady I went to in Chelsea (come on, you know how much I love all that stuff!) told me I'd find a nice man this year, I'd have a publishing contract too, but that my second book in 2 years' time would be very successful! Yay for the psychic lady! She said a whole lot more than that, including even initials and star signs, but I'll keep it to myself, just like my latest dating updates, as I don't want to tempt fate! I know you understand!
– 'Solo Cougar's Survival Kit #11' – just a quickie this week – suffice it to say, a psychic! Lol…!
WATCH – believe it or not, I haven't been to the cinema this week, and haven't really seen any fab films to recommend. But here's what to expect if you go see 'The 39 Steps' in the West End! It's a very funny farce and quite a spectacle, made even better by the setting! See it if you can! Leave your own review below if you've already done so! 8.5 out of ten for me!
EAT – Lauren and I went to Giraffe in Bath, and I had THE most amaaaazing salad – you know one of those where it's exactly what you want to eat!? Lolly had a nice spicy noodle dish. Mine was an utterly delicious salad including pecan nuts, chicken, and grilled king prawns – yummy! Am sure there are Giraffe's all over – is there one near you?
QVC – a big week coming up! Including several days with our favourite Montreal designer Kim Mendelson from Kim & Co, plus…
– The Ahh Bra is back – one of the fastest sell out TSV's from last year, returns Saturday night at midnight – see below
– The long-awaited return of Loose Woman, the lovely Andrea McLean and her Diamonique range is with me on Sunday at 9pm
– A new Kitchen Aid TSV midnight on Monday 5th and throughout Tuesday 6th March – considering my expertise in the kitchen, (or lack of it!, that'll be an interesting show!
– If you missed the 'An Audience with bareMinerals' show with Pipa and Alison last Friday, you can catch the repeat on the QVC Beauty Channel at midday on Tuesday 6th.
– Beautiful Lola Rose TSV – you'll see me wearing the bracelet, and matching necklace this week – join me midnight Thursday 8th and all day Friday 9th March for this lovely new look!
– AND – Harry Hill's mention of QVC on 'TV Burp'! Yes, really!
This week I are been mostly using – the Ahh Bra! As you may have noticed, several people have been commenting about what I've been doing, to get toned. Tons of lunges and squats is much of the reply! And one product we're doing again soon is the amazing Ahh Bra!
Rhonda Shear is back, following her sell out debut TSV, all gone by 1am more or less. I find them a great alternative to not wearing a bra, and particularly good for my sort of exercise (not much jumping up and down! Lol!) And if you can, join me at midnight on Saturday 3rd March into Sunday 4th to see why.
Next time – author chat! Come back soon for an extra Book Bulletin – with one of my fave novelists, Julie Cohen, as she tells us about new release, 'The Summer of Living Dangerously'. Ever wondered what it's like to dress up as a Regency lady? All corsets and flouncy frocks! A researcher gets into hot water in a stately home… I love her reads and am looking forward to this one!
Have a great week!
P.S. from last week:-
Speed dating – the guys in the pics were 1 – John38, 2 – Sasomaco, 3 – Rand1, 4 – David50, 5 – muppet, I mean Neil48! and 6 – Jon6. And the one I would have most likely gone for a follow up coffee (coffee, not date remember!) with was Rand1 – just 'cos he was so warm and friendly and nice about his kids!
Lipsmakin' – the ad was for… Pepsi of course! Circa 1974, or so, and in case you wondered, the Danish lady is saying , apparently, "I can't understand what you're saying, you are going to have to talk slower. Even though I learned English at school it wasn't very good…"
And in case you wanted to see it, here you are!
P.P.S. now that it's March, don't forget to tell me what was your TiFFT (try it for the first time) event for February! Leave me a comment below – specially if you don't usually!