I am typing this with one finger of my left hand after a rather unfortunate ice skating accident yesterday, which resulted in me badly breaking my right wrist. A lovely pre-Christmas get-together with my oldest friend Judith was spent in the A&E department of the Chelsea & Westminster Hospital. Not quite what we had planned! I am waiting to find out if I might need surgery, but in the meantime… everyone ready for Christmas? Love it or hate it, and celebrate it or not, it’s hard to ignore. I absolutely love it, and as well as all the fun, food, gifts and family time, I always see it as a time of reflection – a chance to look back at the year that’s ending and to make plans for the 12 months to come.
At the start of 2014 I said I wanted it to be a year of trying new things, and on reflection I did pretty well, so I thought I’d make a little list of just a few of the things that were new for me over the past year – from the frivolous to the more serious!
1. Moving away from black/grey/navy and getting more colour into my wardrobe. Done! I’ve now got clothes in everything from bright yellow to pink, and even ventured into florals. Very un-Jackie, but I’ve loved it!
2. Changing my perfume. If there’s such a thing as a perfume rut, I was stuck in it – for as long as I can remember I’ve worn Opium and Obsession. Now I have four brand new favourites: Liz Earle’s No.15, Satine by Lalique, Ambre D’Oro by Tova and Leighton Denny’s Light & Dark.
3. Continuing to travel as much as possible to new places. This is something hubby and I have always done – it’s a big world out there and I want to see as much of it as possible before I pop my clogs – but this year we were even more adventurous. The highlight was visiting a remote island off the coast of Mozambique, where we were among just a tiny handful of tourists, and where we ended up swimming at dawn with wild dolphins. We also fulfilled a long-held ambition to travel on the Orient Express – just incredible.
4. Speaking of long-held ambitions, another first for me this year was somehow landing a book deal. Actually, a three-book deal. I’m quite terrified about it all, but it’s something I’ve wanted to do since I was a child so it’s very, very exciting too.
5. Reaching a major marriage milestone – hubby and I celebrated our 20th anniversary. We had a wonderful weekend in Jersey, the island where we got hitched. (Wonderful apart from the moment when the restaurant, where eighteen of us were dining, caught fire and we all had to be evacuated. Another first!) My anniversary gift was something I’ve always wanted too – a dinosaur fossil. I love my carcharodontosaurus tooth so much. Next, saving up for a fossilised dinosaur egg…
6. Doing my first ever sponsored physical challenge…10 miles for Breast Cancer Care. I’ve now got the bug!
7. Oh, and I managed to end the year by completely forgetting a guest’s name, live on air. I’ve never done that before, in all my years in TV. Yes, another first. Oh dear.
So it’s been a great, interesting, varied year. There’s been sadness too – illness and deaths among friends and colleagues, including the sad death of our lovely next-door neighbour just a few days ago. We often take our health for granted, but without it we really have nothing, and what I hope for more than anything for the coming year is that everyone I know and love is fit, healthy and happy – with no broken bones, ideally!
So now it’s time to look forward, and I’m excited about what 2015 will bring…the publication of my first novel, a trip to see my sister in Tokyo, and my first attempt at a marathon (a team of us from QVC are doing the Moonwalk, the power-walking marathon that raises money for breast cancer causes, in May). And maybe, just maybe, it will be the year I ditch the skinny jeans that are basically my uniform off-air, and often on-air too. (Then again, maybe not. Some things are too good to let go.) Let me know your plans for 2015, I’d love to hear them!
One thing I will never let go of is my obsession with Cozee Home bedding, so before I finish, a quick look ahead to midnight on Boxing Day when I’ll be launching the latest Today’s Special Value from the brand.
I was planning to put it on my bed to show you but my broken wrist has made that rather difficult, so here are a couple of pictures of it still in the packaging instead! It’s a fantastic DOUBLE set of the infamous, cuddly, cosy fleece bedding, so you’re getting two duvet covers, two deep fitted sheets and four pillow cases.
The colour options are taupe, a dark rose and duck egg, and you get one set in the plain block colour. Then the second set, which has a pretty embroidery feature, is a lighter colour: as you can see, you get cream with taupe embroidery on the taupe, a light rose with a darker rose embroidery on the rose, and white with duck egg embroidery on the duck egg
It’s a fab price and will see you through the cold winter nights with warmth and style. Give it a go if you haven’t tried fleece bedding before…I’m on a mission to convert the entire UK to this amazing range!
I hope you all have a wonderful Christmas, and if you are one of the many who struggles with the festive season I hope you manage to keep smiling and stay positive. And here’s to a fabulous 2015 for us all. I can’t tell you how much I appreciate all your kind words, support and fun comments both here on my blog and on Twitter (@jackiekabler). Here’s to doing it all again next year!
Lots of love,