March's seasonal selection:
I love this time of year. It feels like spring is finally on its way – we're seeing more blue skies and all over the gardens and parks the green shoots of daffodils are springing into action.
This recipe is something I made last year in Brighton after a friend and I picked up some beautiful lemon sole in one of the brilliant fishmongers there. I have always loved radishes and spring onions together as they are both so flavoursome, crunchy and delicious. For me the finishing touch to this lovely dinner is freshly made thick-cut chunky chips – perfect!
So here goes…
Grilled lemon sole with radish and spring onion salad and chunky chips
4-5 Maris Piper potatoes
2 large fillets of lemon sole
Handful of spring onions, finely chopped
Bag of your favourite salad
Small amount of butter
Salt and pepper for seasoning
1. Firstly, prepare the chips by thickly slicing some Maris Piper potatoes (these are my favourite for chips). I actually then place them in the microwave for several minutes to get them partly cooked (you could par boil them but the microwave is so much easier). Then place the chips in a pan of shallow sunflower oil and gently fry. Remember to be careful with a pan of hot oil, never leave it unattended.
2. Whilst the chips are cooking you can prepare the salad using your favourite salad leaves (I must admit, I often buy a bagged salad from the supermarket) and add the finely chopped spring onions and radishes. I would then drizzle over a simple dressing of lemon juice, balsamic vinegar and olive oil. Cover the salad and leave in a cool part of the kitchen (but not the fridge).
3. By now the chips should be almost done so keep an eye on them and turn as necessary. When the chips are almost cooked add some salt as this gives a wonderful crispiness to them.
4. We can then move onto the fish – take two fillets of lemon sole and give them a good basting in butter. Place them in a pre-heated medium grill (my tip here is to place some foil underneath the grill pan to keep cleaning to a minimum!) and grill until golden brown on each side.
5. To serve, simply garnish the lemon sole with an extra knob of butter, some fresh parsley and a wedge of lemon and serve with the fresh chips and radish and spring onion salad. Simple, tasty and delicious!!
If you are having wine with this, I reckon a good Italian Pinot Grigio would work a treat!
See more 'What's in season' recipes from our presenters.