Here’s an idea… I was chatting to Barry Ort, our lovely guest from Kenneth Jay Jewellery, who was on the Morning Show last week and we think we should bring back some of those quaint sayings we used to hear in the black and white films. You know the sort of thing – Richard Attenborough, Dirk Bogart or Jack Hawkins as young men saying thinks like: “I say, that’s a capital idea!"
We’re a bit bored with everyone saying 'Yo!' or 'Cool' or 'Yeah!' So, we think we should start a campaign to bring back the great British turn of phrase. Here’s a few I like:
- 'What ho chaps!' Much better than 'Hi guys'
- 'Smashing!' Sounds so much nicer than 'great'
- 'Lashings of ginger beer' á la Famous Five
- 'I say…..' – isn’t this better than 'eh!'
- 'I’d like a pint of bitter my good man' but be careful with this one if it’s a rough bar!
- Instead of saying 'wow' you could always try: 'Goodness gracious me!'
I think the English language was richer for all these 'old fashioned' colloquialisms but I'm sure to have forgotten a few belters. Have you got any favourites? Do let me know.