Hi everyone – well great news – it looks like spring is finally here which means summer is not far behind! Time to really start considering your skin’s health and maybe just maybe, making sure that this is the year you really look after yourself (current Ultrasun users – you are doing a great job so just keep up that great work!)
OK firstly the serious bit – serious skin damage is growing – please do look after yourselves and your loved ones. We can honestly change this very worrying trend. Now onto my top tips to keep you healthy and looking fab, so you can relax and enjoy that sunshine!!!
- How and when you apply sun protection matters: Always apply sun protection to cool, clean, dry skin in the shade (ideally indoors) 15-30 minutes before you or your children go into the sun. It’s important that this step is followed regardless of what sun cream brand you choose, as if applied in direct sunlight, sun cream can evaporate before it has even had a chance to bond with the skin and therefore becomes less effective. Apply liberally to all exposed, or potentially exposed, parts of the body.
- Understand shade: To avoid the peak potency of the sun, take shade breaks between 11am – 3pm. Over 90% of UV can penetrate light cloud cover, and this remains a common mistake and reason for sunburn – both in the UK and abroad. Shade given by trees and parasols only gives protection from around 70% of UV rays. Out of the shade, remember a simple shadow rule: The shorter your own shadow, the higher the sun and the greater the risk
- Make sun protection part of the daily routine at home and away: cleanse, tone, Ultrasun! Add it to the morning ritual before applying make-up or the kids are going to school or out to play. Sensitivity to UV damage increases as you get hot and sweaty making sunburn more likely. Sun safe habits should begin from birth
- Remember the 3s rule – sunhat, shirt and sun cream: always wear brimmed hats or a cap with a cloth flap that covers the back of the neck to protect the scalp from burning. Use skin protection products with an SPF20 or above, preferably free from emulsifiers, preservatives and perfume as these are the main causes of allergic responses
- Eyewear: Playing outdoors is vital to a child’s physical health but children’s eyes can be more sensitive to UV light than those of adults, so they need protection. Invest in a good pair of sunglasses for your child with 100% UV filtration; toy sunglasses may provide no protection at all
- Know your labels: Please do check that your product has an adequate SPF and strong UVA protection. UVA rays penetrate deeply, right down to the subcutaneous layers of the skin and do long-term damage. Look for the new UVA in a circle sign on the bottle, or better still check with the manufacturer the percentage of UVA protection in your product. The EU standard is 33% of the SPF rating but products from Ultrasun all have a UVA of over 90%
- Pick the right SPF factor: skin that is not used to the sun is less able to protect itself. Under the influence of UV rays, the skin begins to thicken and starts producing melanin. These processes take 10-20 days to take place, so use extra protection while your skin is adjusting to the sun. Know your sun account and that there is a difference between an SPF of 50 or 50+. An SPF 50 is tested to be exactly that but a 50+ must achieve at least an SPF 58 to get that all important ‘+’ sign
- Rehydrate your skin after sun exposure: after sunbathing, the skin needs a regeneration time of at least 12-14 hours. During this time, some of the damage to cells will be repaired, so ensure you use a good quality aftersun product that will help to accelerate this process by ensuring the skin is rehydrated
- Beware of the reflection factor: different surfaces reflect the sun’s rays and intensify their effects: water, concrete, sand, snow etc. can intensify the radiation by up to 80%
- Remember to drink plenty of water! this will ensure that your skin (and body) stays hydrated throughout the day.
And lastly have fun – I know I do nag (a lot!) but summer should be fun, easy time with the family and hopefully long summer evenings in the garden with maybe…just maybe the odd glass of wine! (hope that’s not just me!)
To stock up on suncare, check out the selection of Ultrasun products online.