Cleansed skin is the foundation to any good skincare routine. If you’re only cleansing with one product both morning and night, you could be missing out on one of the most effective ways to keep your skin looking balanced, clear and radiant.
Based on a Korean skincare ritual, double cleansing is all about ensuring your skin is thoroughly cleansed, completely free of make-up, grime and impurities, and prepped for any serums, treatments or moisturisers you want to apply next.
How does it work?
Double cleansing involves using two cleansers for two different purposes:
- First, go for a cleanser (we love oils and balms) to help dissolve the products that have been sitting on your skin all day, like make-up and SPF. Sweeping these away using a product that also conditions your skin will help to ensure it doesn’t dry out or feel flaky.
- Then, a milk, foam or gel cleanser can help effectively remove invisible pollution particles, dirt and gunk that collects in our pores and can often cause blemishes. Make sure you choose a soap-free formula, as although suds can feel quite satisfying, they can often make skin tight and irritated, and later cause skin to over-produce oil to compensate for that ‘squeaky’ feeling.
A routine to suit you
If you’re super busy, and don’t have the time (or the inclination) to go through the double cleansing ritual every day, you can adapt it to suit you: why not use a micellar water to easily remove make-up and impurities, then a refreshing facial wash you could even take into the shower with you?
What about an AM cleanse?
In the morning, double cleansing isn’t essential, although the choice is yours – use whatever type of cleanser you prefer to help awaken the feel of your skin and start your day on the right note. You might prefer a rich balm for a morning facial massage, or a super simple milk (like the iconic, bestselling Liz Earle Cleanse & Polish Hot Cloth Cleanser) to help gently cleanse your complexion.
Shop our favourites
- Decleor Micellar Oil
- Alpha-H Balancing Cleanser
- Alpha-H Liquid Laser Anti-Ageing Balm
- Liz Earle Cleanse & Polish Hot Cloth Cleanser
- Sarah Chapman Ultimate Cleanse
- Elemis Pro-Radiance Cream Cleanser
- Elemis Foaming Facial Wash
Don’t forget to check out our Refresh Your Regime page to discover the best ways to revamp your beauty routine, and the products to help you do it!