Spring seems to have finally sprung, but the weather is still changing its mind…one day it's warm and sunny and the next it's back to cold and rainy! It's difficult to know how to dress your bed when the weather is so changeable. We caught up with expert Northern Nights guest Susie Adams to chat about how to cope with this inbetween, transseasonal weather…
What are your top five tips for coping with the changing weather around this time?
1. Natural cotton is great for all weather. As you know Northern Nights only use 100% cotton so all of our range will provide you with nature's natural fibre, that absorbs moisture and feels cool and gentle on your skin. If you love to use flannel all year round, or have issues with maintaining your body temperature these too will also keep you fresh in a snuggly way.
2. Using a natural down duvet will also regulate and adapt to your body temperature thorughout every season. You may prefer changing to a lighter spring/summer weight, for the impending warmer weather.
3. If you and your partner experience real difficulties in sharing your duvet (maybe you prefer different weights), then how about purchasing two single duvet for the summer months. They could of course have different fill powers so you both enjoy your sleeping experience together.
4. For those of you who are happy with your duvet, I would also recommend having it laundered and keeping your bedroom window open. A well ventilated bedroom has many beneficial ways to bring about better health.
5. Take a look at your pillow (personally I do this when no one else is around!) Honestly, does the cover look clean? Will it stand on your palm without acting all floppy? Well, congratulations if it does because this sounds perfect. If not, I would recommend popping it in the wash on a very low heat and then either sun drying it or place it in your tumble dryer on a very low heat setting, and dry it for at least four hours. Then it should feel fluffy like a cloud!
Northern Night's new season range is perfect for refreshing your bedroom and bringing it up to date. A few of my faves from the collection are the 600 thread count Floral Bow duvet set, which is an elegant and timeless traditional cotton jacquard fabric in a pale blue/cream shade. This will add a stately home touch of elegance, imagine your room could be your own little palace!
Another one I like is the Emma Butterfly heavyweight flannel duvet set for cooler days. This comes in yellow or a pink option with a white background and features a vintage blossoms and blooms theme – a major bedding trend this spring/summer. This with the butterfly influence brings together a real sense of summer but with a cosy flannel fabric.
What other great solutions have you got for spring bedding?
Spring brings the light back into our lives, the days become a little longer and maybe puts us in the mind to refresh and renew. If you have used darker linens to hunker down throughout the winter, now think about bringing the light into your bedroom, longer lighter hours and cool calming colours help to lift our energy and our outlook on life.
Spring cleaning your bedroom. I appreciate this is an enormous task if undertaken all at one. Split your chores into one task per day. Cleaning our all draws and cupboards, a thorough vacuum in and around the bed, yes and underneath, I am always amazed at the dust that seems to present itself once the sun shines. Clean windows will help you to see the world in a brighter light and also wash away the bleak winter. Give your curtains and or blinds a wash or thorough dusting.
Then, bedding is the fun part: Use our sateen finishes to reflect light. White is of course the easiest way of doing this, but I love the way lemon reminds me of sunshine, cool blues of the colour of sky, and soft pink can be such a warm and romantic colour to use. For those who love bright festival colours, get into the holiday spirit with fushia pinks, tropical blues, and orange the colour of sunshine. I love to use these colours together and use throws, pillows and maybe lampshades to show a sense of fun and let your imagination go wild.
So we hope that Susie's top tips help you achieve the perfect bed for the changeable weather! Northern Nights will be on QVC on Tuesday 30th April for their Today's Special Value Eurofeather pillows set offer. These luxurious pillows are another perfect transseasonal bedding solution, so make sure you tune in and snap them up!
Browse the full Northern Nights range