One half of cult hair brand Percy & Reed, stylist to the stars Adam Reed has been all over the world, tousling and taming the locks of some of the world’s fashion and beauty icons. It’s not all about name-dropping, but Diane Kruger, Sophie Dahl and a few VIP beauty editors from the likes of Glamour, ELLE and Grazia are clients – when they’ve got a hair feature coming up, he’s the one they call.
So we were thrilled when we managed to grab a few minutes with the man himself and asked him to share his top best-kept haircare secrets with us.
An out-and-out perfectionist, no detail is too small and no style too big and ambitious for Adam. But it’s all beautifully balanced with an appreciation of where high fashion meets high street; where the everyday meets that special occasion…
Adam’s top tips:
- Rinsing the hair is really important. Saturate your hair before you apply shampoo and conditioner, and again when the product is being rinsed out. A thorough final rinse perfectly prepares your hair for your primer or other styling products. If you can, give your hair a final rinse with cold water. This shuts down the cuticle, makes the hair shiny and is a great way of stimulating blood flow to encourage healthy scalp and hair
- Mix your oil and styling products together, such as our Volumising No Oil Oil and Wonder Balm. This ensures even distribution, perfect hold and shine
- There is a myth that if your hair gets used to one product it will stop continuing to work. If you have a product you absolutely love, continue to use it but also don’t be afraid to try something different alongside it. For instance if you currently use and love Percy & Reed Abundantly Bouncy Volumising Shampoo, you could introduce Abundantly Bouncy Volumising Mousse as your styling product after washing
- If you are thinking of changing your hair colour, try a wig in the colour you are looking at. Don’t be afraid of hair colour, they are amazing these days with deep conditioning and long-lasting formulas
- If you have one tool you love using (such as a curling tong) don’t get stuck using it the same way – try different techniques. Your hair is a blank canvas, so each time you wash it this canvas is cleared
- When you are blowdrying your hair and want more volume, do a final cold blast with the dryer. This shuts down the cuticle and maximises longevity to your style
- When putting your hair up, you should spray your pins with hairspray as this gives extra hold to the hair
- When I use our Reassuringly Firm Session Hold Hairspray I rarely spray it directly onto the hair. Spray it onto the brush before brushing through, this gives the style hold while letting the hair move
- Co-washing (conditioner-only washing) is one of my favourite ways of cleansing hair but it took me a while to get used to. Give it a go and see the amazing results – the top tip is to rinse thoroughly. If you think you have rinsed enough try once more and you will be on the right track. Our Perfectly Perfecting Wonder Cleanse & Nourish is great for sensitive hair and scalp as it is 97% natural and sulphate-free
- If you are getting your hair cut and are worried about it, remember – it will always grow back…!
Try Adam’s tips for yourself and let us know how you get on! You can follow Adam on Instagram for more haircare inspiration, and discover our full range of Percy & Reed online. Plus why not follow QVC Beauty on Instagram for all of the latest beauty news, and what we’re loving right now.