– We are all 2% Neanderthal – but some more than others…?
– Another excerpt of my new novel due out 29th June – just four weeks away!
– Plus – my spaniel brings a new meaning to the term ‘lap dog’…
– And beauty sneaky peeks galore – Judith Williams, Bare Minerals, and Tova’s selfie!
First, a quick advance warning about next week’s monthly competition! Don’t miss it!
MORE MAGICAL MOMENTS IN MARBELLA
Ok, in La Campana but it doesn’t start with an M! Lol.
If you missed it, look at last week’s blog for the first holiday pics and news. The rest of the week one of my longest-running best mates (sounds better than ‘oldest’!) Gill and I got out and about exploring a little.
The top pic is in Puerto Banus marina – the restaurant strip there overlooks the bay and it’s truly a marvellous site – sooooo many designer shops and dressed-up beautiful people. It’s weird ‘cos if you walk a few dozen steps back out onto the main shopping area it’s like any town centre, well almost – there's a few palm trees.
The sea front there was lovely though, tons of ex-pats live there. I remember covering a golf charity event at La Cala more than a decade ago and going to a dinner in the evening where I interviewed Brian Conley, amongst others – a lot of the guests were from Puerto Banus.
Gill and I had a nice meal in an Italian place (why not, we were in – er, Spain!) and a stroll along to the end of the promenade.
Would I go back again? For a holiday – a proper break as opposed to trying to write – yes, probably. But it’s always nice to explore new areas, don’t you think? So maybe another part of Spain next time.
What’s your favourite part of Spain? (leave me a comment below – info on how-to is also below.)
My next hol is a first, however – my very first cruise! With mummy – early July – the week after my new romance novel is published – and we’re sailing all around the Black Sea and Greek islands. Can’t wait!
Well, I celebrated the inner geek again this week – I can’t help it, it’s an inate need! Brother Glenn has it too, the need to learn, so he accompanied me on that New Scientist/ Natural History Museum talk about the origins of early man – and I absolutely loved it!
Palaeontologist Chris Stringer – seen here at podium – is a hero of mine. He knows all about one of my fave topics from school projects whilst growing up – the Stone Age man.
Could it be to do with being called ‘Flint’? who knows?! Hehe! Anyway, here are some amazing facts (to me they’re amazing. If you’re not a nerd like me, go to the next section! Haha! )
– Humans split from Neanderthals around 500,000 years ago – our common ancestor being homo Heidelbergensis.
– But early man continued to breed with Neanderthals – even as recently as 45000 years ago.
– Incredibly – a recent genome sequencing project has proven without doubt that we are all about 2% Neanderthal! How ‘bout that! Little prize for funniest quip about that fact. (Leave a comment below!) lol.
– Few people know it, but recent DNA analysis has shown there was a third type of early man too – called ‘Denisovans’ – from a massive tooth and an end of finger fragment found in the Denisova cave in Siberia.
For instance, people in Australia and New Guinea, have about 2% Neanderthal as well as about 4% of these Denisovans who obviously migrated there over 300 generations ago.
– There’s even evidence in our genomes that there is some association with different diseases with the presence of Neanderthal DNA – like of Type 2 diabetes, Khrons disease, lupus and even the inability to give up smoking (more here)!
They and the Denisovans were probably very small inbred population sizes and therefore, an endangered species even before early humans came out of Africa about 50,000 years ago – more here.
And here’s a sample of the talk to show you why I thought it was so good – enjoy!
[Having trouble viewing this video? See YouTube's Help page]
So, all in all, the ‘out of Africa’ theory becomes the ‘mostly out of Africa plus a bit of hybridization’ theory. A very interesting talk, which brother Glenn enjoyed too.
Then we stopped off for a drink in one of his old masters degree pubs (he’s now a doctor having done his PhD in international relations), near my old stomping ground too close to the Aldwych. Very nice evening.
There’s a display at the Natural History Museum 'till end of September – click here for info on Natural History Museum website about Neanderthals – do go along if the following clip tickles your fancy! And if it doesn’t, shouldn’t you have skipped on to the next section by now?! Haha!
READ IT WRITE IT SELL IT
RiWiSi – my weekly look at all things book!
Countdown to June 29th – my new book
Eeeeek! Into the final week! If you’re new to my blog, I write novels! My new book, third in the trilogy of steamy romances, 'Hawaiian Retreat' is published on weekend of June 29th…
– Just 2 weeks till the cover is revealed on here – but this week – the first segment of the cover in Teaser 1! – Go to RiWiSi on my website. Click here to see it – what do you think is happening? Plus, you’ll also see another excerpt of the work in progress…
– 4 weeks till Hawaiian Retreat is released on Amazon
– 4 weeks till a bumper Summer Offer on my titles & a super comp to win 4 of my paperbacks!
Can’t wait? Get ready for your summer reading with my 6 titles – all on Amazon!
I had a chat with someone this week who told me about Angela Britnell and her ‘pretty steamy’ novels, so thought I’d mention her latest toned down Choc Lit one – it sounds really fun!
Our protagonist, Luscious Lily, presents a national cookery show and she comes to the UK to interview some top UK chefs. But, she crosses swords with the ex-military Kenan, who is her opposite. Sparks fly and when the going gets rough, do the tough get going? Or do they kick back and make cup cakes?
Do you know what’s so brilliant? The ‘Look Inside’ preview of the book on Amazon is so long, you can read over four chapters in the free sample – that should hook you in and help make up your mind to read the rest! Let me know if you enjoy it!
Click here to buy yours.
Over on my Read It Write It Sell It – Go-Large…
This week's Friday Fiction Focus on my website is a second extract from my new novel’s Work in Progress! Plus the first sneaky look at a tiny bit of my new cover! (Full reveal here in two weeks’ time) and a very exciting event in the world of my writing career and the Top Ten Teen books – do you agree?
There's also more tips for self-publishers and would-be writers. Click here to read it, especially if you’d like to self-publish or write a novel yourself.
BACK TO YOU
Ooooo! Discovered a new fave milk-substitute this week – with a dash of coconut from alpro – I love my almond milk – the unsweetened has so little of anything problematical in it. And now here's another fave – have you tried it?
I had to have soya milk when in Spain last week, and too much of it means I’m getting my little hot flushes back (that’s my own personal situation – for some it helps, for others it exacerbates flushes! Depends on the oestrogen levels…)
Anyway this should help! Lovely in unsweetened breakfast cereals!
Had a lovely bit of feedback this week again, following so many people all telling each other about my semi-autobiographical weight loss book from 2002, called ‘Till the Fat Lady Slims’ – thanks girls! TTFLS is here if you’d like to read more reviews.
Just over a month to go 'till our Back to You group get-together joint with my new book launch near Dorking on June 29th! Do come along!
There's full info if you join our Back to You QVC Facebook group – see bottom of this blog for full info and details about the sister closed group Break the Habit BTU.
Over on B2U blog on debbieflint.com – my weekly Monday Update – this weeks included Gwynneth’s Cookbook Club, the properties of aloe vera, and a new concept called #Whole30 – as well as more from our lovely girls on Facebook. Go here to read it all!
Back to You returns to QVC in September. See below for links to join the Facebook Groups.
Friday Feature - Tom Tom 6 inch sat nav on 31st May! Don’t let anyone ever tell you size doesn’t matter! Lol! Look at the difference between this new mega-sized screen and my old one! No more sausage fingers sending you crazy! Join me midnight Friday for a very special TSV bargain!
– Sneaky Peek – Judith Williams new Today’s Special Value – join me Saturday 7th at midnight! It includes a wonderful new seven day serum – amazing even more when you consider our 30 day money back guarantee.
– Shhh! Not long to wait before we have a certain daily special for an elastical… elastizication… elastiser… oh, Philip Kingsley fans, you get the idea! Tune in on 17th ish?
Sis Linda is to do mine in the dark red from the portable lamp set in time for the jewellery show Friday night. Otherwise, Lin is on on Sunday 8th with Alison.
Have you seen Ali and Will's promo, driving through the countryside in a camper van? If not, here it is!
And we all love a bit of behind the scenes too – go to Will's blog to see what they got up to during filming!
This Week on QVC –
– Bronzo Italia jewellery show – Friday (30th) at 10pm if you’re an early blog reader and read it every Friday you might see this fab bronze coated in rose gold range (303118 shown) – and of course the new RCM manicure on my nails!
– Laid Bare – here’s a little look at the bareMinerals new Today’s Special Value coming up on Sunday (1st) – and Will I. T. has also posted a chat with the lovely BM girls here!
– Tova does a selfie! In the week Susanna Reid demanded a red carpet selfie with Tom Cruise, la Tova joined the trend wearing a Joan Rivers scarf available in QVC US – lovely! Don’t miss midnight on Thursday 5th for her next 3.8ct band ring – it’ll be a belter (technical term…! Lol).
– Find out what else is on on our TV Guide on our home page.
For the past couple of the weeks, Will G has been helping out Richard Jackson with his weekend gardening shows, the role had a real affect on Will!
Garden Centre Get Together Went to see the flint family females at Chessington Garden Centre for a spot of catching up – looked for runner beans but didn’t have any! Boo! Mine got a bit shrivelled – shhhh! Don’t tell Richard!
This is the line up – tallest to smallest – and a group selfie when the others arrived – can you spot my sis Linda the Red Carpet Manicure guest!?!
Lara and Issy XBox fun I decided to be magnanimous and hand over my Xbox! I bought it for Keep Fit, but I now mostly use my Bodyblade, leg master, pilates machine, and rebounder. So Lara and Issy were well chuffed. Now I just have to find the control and the set up CD… Grrr! Do you ever do that – find there’s always one crucial bit missing?!
Spaniel Sittt! Baloo the spaniel, currently residing chez moi with my daughter Lauren, finds the funniest places to sit! She was spayed this week, and keeps curling up on us all! Funny!
– What an invention This one’s been doing the rounds recently online – and I must agree, it certainly seems like an innovation to change the world – what do you think?
Watch it and tell me if you can spot any drawbacks – otherwise solar panel roads seem pretty sound to me – if only eh? But then again, maybe with crowd funding, you never know…! Full info about the project is here.
But it’s the ‘Solar Freakin' Roadways’ clever video that’s not only trending, it’s raising them money – a must-view. Watch here -
– Pssst! Amy Anzel has asked me to do a surprise cameo (announcer’s spot) in one of the performances of Happy Days the Musical, when Gill Gauntlett and I go to see it again in Milton Keynes mid June – should I?
Now that would be a TiFFT eh!?
The other film we thoroughly enjoyed was 'Rain Man' – an all-time classic with superb performances by Tom Cruise, the harried exec estranged from his late father, who discovers an autistic savant brother (Hoffman) who has been left everything in their father’s will.
If you haven’t seen it, please do – if you love films it’s definitely on the ‘Top films everyone should see’ list, IMO (in my opinion). Both performances are incredible, and Hoffman’s is off the scale brilliant. Just like Michael Douglas when he ‘became’ Liberace, you don’t think once about Hoffman, you just believe he’s Raymond. A stellar 9.2/10. Gill and I watched it on DVD in the apartment – good choice of films, people!
Next Week – a super-exciting new cinema release – Tom Cruise in ‘Edge of Tomorrow’ – here’s the trailer to whet your appetite – it’s certainly whetted mine! Go see it too, and we can compare notes next Friday!
Also next week – reminiscing with old school pals who also grew up in Merton… and dinner with Ginetta from Veronese… see you then!
Have a fab week!
P.S *TiFFT = Try it For the First Time Club!
To read PREVIOUS QVC blogs go here
To find out more about Debbie Flint go here
To leave a straightforward comment on this blog, just go to comments, below – write your comment, leave your name and your email (kept private), press post, and there you go! Easy! Looking forward to hearing from you!
TO KEEP IN TOUCH:
@debbieflint - follow me for behind the scenes updates & sneaky peeks of upcoming bargains
- My QVC Facebook page - click ‘like’- or friend me on my personal one.
Join the challenge on photo-sharing closed group 'Break the Habit' - your online support system continues till 29th June party near Dorking!
MY WEBSITE & BOOKS
Newsletter – Sign up on my own website for regular email newsletters including freebies, comps, and LATEST NEWS about my novels – www.debbieflint.co.uk
Books - all available on Amazon – paperback or eBook (eBook is for Kindle or Kindle app for your PC or Mac)
(Book 3 Hawaiian Retreat – Helen's Story is coming in the summer)
When Dreams Return (2014) – spooky romantic short story – when Chelle's pal Sara gets her to conjure up her ideal man with a full moon magic spell, she gets more than she bargained for…
The Valentine’s Surprise (2010) is a short story proving it’s never too late to find your Sir Galahad!
Till the Fat Lady Slims is my 2002 weight loss book all about eating like slim people do, following Food Freedom technique. As used and recommended on our Back to You QVC Facebook group!
OTHER WORK IN PROGRESS – (see my new Work in Progress tab on my website for updates!)
'Hawaiian Retreat' – book three in the trilogy, see above.
'TFFLS' revised version – coming Autumn 2014.
'The How to Find a Husband Manual' – hehe – more info in the summer. A spin off from the Hawaiian trilogy's character Kate, Helen's friend in New York.
'Diary of a Rookie Shopping Channel Presenter' – sequel – early 2015.