- Happy Days the musical opens its doors – and it’s excellent! Eyyyyy!
- And Beauty Bash alert! I’m going for the first time, on 23rd!
Firstly, I just wanted to say thanks to the 831 people who left comments last week on my blog to enter the Liz Earle comp. The winner is Meryl Rees. I did read through all the comments, or scanned them, so a generic thanks to anyone who posted a comment not just an entry!
And special well done to Sarah my lovely blog web-lady who uses a clever randomiser online to pick the winner – so much better than a lucky dip!
This week’s Mally comp is below – again with a 'Till the Fat Lady Slims' (2002) book in the bumper prize!
‘HAPPY DAYS’ IS HERE AGAIN!
Tuesday saw the launch of Happy Days the Musical and I trotted along to have a fab night out with my pal Sharon (who helps me run my Facebook groups) in the Churchill Theatre, Bromley for their jam-packed press night.
Our regular beauty guest, and theatre impresario (and downright legend) Amy Anzel was in the spotlight – quite rightly, as she’s the co-producer and has worked really hard! If you saw the channel 4 series ‘Sound of Musicals’ you’ll know how much back-breaking effort went into getting it off the ground! Well it worked – it was thoroughly enjoyable I must say! Here’s a little clip of the finale -
Heidi from Sugababes sang beautifully and looked great. Ben Freeman as the Fonz is a real hunk, and I’m looking forward to seeing it again to see how he’s relaxed into the role. But the absolute star was Cheryl Baker – with some nice little twists specially for her fans, it was a star performance, singing, acting, the accent was great, and the comedy was super!
The songs are classics in the making, from the composer of Bugsy Malone – one of my childhood favourites. Well done all, and well done Amy! Go here to find out more about where you can see it – it’s about to go on tour until the summer, and I really recommend you take the kids!
P.S. – stop press! Catherine’s also on stage again imminently – this Sunday (19th) in a ten minute vignette amongst a collection of 7 new writers’ works, at the Cockpit theatre in London! Catch her if you can! Click here to find out more – she’s in 'The Parachutist'.
BACK TO YOU – SHOW 2 & BLOOPERS
A performance of a different kind for me on Monday! For those who didn’t know, I’ve been doing a weekly ‘health, wellbeing, & me-time’ show on Mondays at 9pm. (You can read up on the weekly updates which I’ve been posting on my website page here, especially for those who aren’t on Facebook. If you are, read below.)
Firstly, below is episode two of Back to You.
[Having trouble viewing this video? See YouTube's Help page]
We had a great Ninja TSV (a good bargain even now on regular pricing) which was great for the theme – favourite ‘feel good’ foods.
The Ninja demo also included the ‘make Debbie eat chilli’ poll… er sorry, that is, the ‘should Debbie eat Butternut Squash soup (love) or Hot Chilli Dip (hate)’ poll… ahem! Clip below.
It’s all going terribly well over on our connected Facebook group, with everyone being supportive and helpful to each other, providing some good advice, and giving ‘been there too’ supportive suggestions. Go join it, as with 500 members it looks like we’ll carry on on Facebook at least, after the series of Back to You ends on 27th January – er, that’s next Monday!
Here’s another lovely post from one of the group – Karen Kavanagh says,
“Hi everyone, I just want to share my experience of the Leg master. It really is a great way to tone up legs and lose inches from hips and bum… I found it a bit tiring for my legs when I first started to use it, so I would just do 10 reps at intervals throughout the evening until id done 50 reps in all.
Then I increased to 20 reps at a time and now I do 100 reps in all. The results really are worth the effort, and my legs are so much stronger. The great thing is , I lost inches and had not eaten any less. Xx”
The Leg Master is a brilliant device for targeting, for sure, currently has two five star reviews online about how it builds strength in legs too!
And the Bodyblade One Minute Challenge is starting to get everyone talking! By popular demand, especially from those who missed the show on Monday, here’s the last one minute challenge – when my pal Jilly Halliday had to take charge as the wobbles set in!
Plus the moment of truth in the chilli poll – cheers guys! Lol
NEXT Monday (27th) will indeed be the final show this series! The girls on Facebook are trying to campaign to bring it back later in the year! Am chuffed, but I must admit it’s been a real motivator even for me, this January, to avoid those new year blues once the ‘new year new you’ becomes old hat!
Over on my own website there’s a couple of tips from me about how to kick start – or re-kick start! – your cutting-down/eating healthily regimes, plus see the fabulous hints and tips from others, in the regular Monday Updates, that’s on www.debbieflint.co.uk on this week’s Back to You page. See you on air!
P.S. and good luck to Marv, fellow presenter and dieter, who’s embarking upon a Diet Chef regime! More news on her blog! She’s part of the Facebook group too, so keep us informed Marv!
Still to come… what’s been happening to the tripawd cat?… who are the powerful companies making us eat sugar – Dispatches special… and beauty bash ahoy!
READ IT WRITE IT SELL IT
RiWiSi – my weekly look at all things book!
Book of the Week
It’s back to a fiction focus again this week. As you may know if you’re a regular, I ‘read’ a lot in the car – or rather, someone reads to me. It’s my ultimate indulgence that’s for sure! Well, one audio book I listened to recently was ‘The Black House’ by Peter May.
It’s the first of a trilogy featuring Finn, an ex-cop with a history intertwined with his place of birth, Lewis – the Hebridean island he was so keen to escape.
It’s a dark thriller, rather than a cosy crime, and had me gripped in certain chapters – so I do recommend it if you like books like ‘Reviver’ and ‘Cuckoo’s Calling’ which I reviewed last year. Plus it’s nice that once you’ve read it, you can go straight on to books two and three – altho’ in my haste, I listened in the wrong order – three (Chess Men) before two (Lewis Man), but it still worked… Kinda. (Doh!).
Let me know if you’ve read them and have any similar recommendations by leaving a comment below!
Award winning author Julie Cohen – writing Courses for Novelists in 2014
And for you writers, or would-be authors, Julie Cohen (my lovely mentor and award winning women’s fiction author) is about to announce her new dates for this year’s courses. I’ve been to five of hers now, and love them!
I’ll be booking the retreat again, schedule allowing, as last time I wrote 12000 words in two days and had a plot break-through, thanks to Julie’s adept observations! She does courses for beginners too – including one for the Guardian very soon (Jan 25-26). Register for updates or you can get links via her website courses page.
Read more on my weekly Fiction focus on my own website, www.debbieflint.co.uk, on the latest RiWiSi update here! Including a top-selling erotic romance on special offer!
After last week’s enormously popular Liz Earle comp, it’s time to bring you another bumper bundle of products from one of our favourite faces from Health and Beauty – this time a £55 hamper from cosmetics expert and celebrity make-up artist extraordinaire, Mally! Full list and T&C’s here. And if you’re in time, enjoy her Saturday (18th) Today’s Special Value!
Plus, in keeping with my Monday Back to You shows, there’s also a copy of Till the Fat Lady Slims (2002), my semi-autobiographical weight loss book from when I first learned the principles of freedom eating and haven’t had a binge since. I lost 35lb over about a year and a half and it didn’t feel like dieting – the opposite in fact. Anyway, a signed copy is also in this prize!
All you need to do to enter is to leave a comment below, and say the phrase ‘enter me for the comp’ or such like! Closes midday Thursday (23rd). Had some interesting versions of that phrase last week amongst the 800-odd entries – some wise-crackers out there! Anyway, good luck!
Final Back to You blog comp – next week – will be an even bigger bundle of goodies, including a fabulous flannel King bedding set from Northern Nights in pink!
- Beauty Bash Time! Well if you’ve never been to QVC’s annual Beauty Bash, you’re in good company – neither have I!! I’ll be making my debut on the Thursday 23rd – and I look forward to meeting you if you’re going too! Will report back next week!
- ‘Jane Plan’ launches in B2U Monday’s Back to You show also sees the launch of a perfectly timed new eating plan. Jane Michell created the home deliveries to fill a niche – they can cater for gluten-free, wheat-free, dairy-free, vegetarian and high protein/low carb requirements – I will be interested to see what’s on offer in Monday’s 9pm show! Let me know if you’ve tried it.
- Day in the Life New to Pinterest, a QVC ‘Day in the Life’ section featuring yours truly, coming soon! Here’s a sample of one day this week – when I was very appropriately dealing with collating, making then eating soup! With one of my oldest pals to taste it – Gill (who may be a guest on QVC at some point) – she said my green soup tasted like the type you get in a restaurant! I don’t think she meant a little chef! Lol! If you want to make your own, mine’s inspired by Marlene’s – click here for more info!
- Massive Mooli One ingredient I didn’t include was daikon, or Mooli – look at this big one! I was going to say ‘guess what it is’ – but on second thoughts, I decided I’d better not! Lol! For obvious reasons…
Do google some of the detoxing properties of this clever radish-like veg – used in a lot of oriental dishes. (And there I shall leave it… even though there are soooo many other comments I could make – I’ll leave it up to you to fill in the gaps, so to speak! Hehe!)
- Dining with Ginetta My lovely pal, Veronese jewellery guest Ginetta, and I went out for a pub lunch after work on Sunday – it was lovely to see her, even if our meeting was accompanied by the pog from hell!
Yes, little Baloo, my ‘grand-pog’ came too, and spent much of the time trying to get on my lap! Ginetta and I are trying to sort out a date for me to visit her in Tuscany at some point this year – and maybe start to learn Italian too. That’d be a humungous ‘TiFFT’* wouldn’t it!?
- Pirate’s diary Just in case any of you were wondering what’s been happening to Pirate the Tripawd kitten, he managed to get himself a full blog recently, click here for an update on his progress! All well in the world of the three-legged one! And keeping with the feline theme…
WATCH – Have been really enjoying ‘Celebrity Big Brother’ this series! Thing is, sadly the character Lee Ryan, of Blue, is playing has made me feel sorry for every female who’s got involved with him! Reminds me too much of my ex, sadly… (ahh but which one, I hear you ask. Well that’d be telling!). The ex in question was very narcissistic, and, it seems, so is a certain person on CBB!
He’s more concerned with having someone to want him, it appears, than who the someone actually is, as we watched him flit from poor Casey (who’s lovely and reminds me of my niece) to stunning American Jasmine, who predictably got voted out on Wednesday! Another eviction this Friday?
And not too late to have a wonderful indulgent catch-up of the whole series on channel 5 on demand! One of my favourite moments was when Lionel and Luisa got shut in the most annoying room ever – including when she climbed over the jail to get chocs and champagne! Let me know what’s been your fave bit if you’ve been watching the series!
[Having trouble viewing this video? See YouTube's Help page]
P.S – if you’re still keen to keep up with all the programmes about the dangers of sugar, watch out for ‘Addicted to Sugar, Dispatches’ on Monday (20th) at 8pm channel 4 I believe! They reveal how a powerful group of companies have tried to fight off any attempt to reduce the amount of addictive sugar we all consume. Addictive viewing, no less!
SNEAKY PEEK – Standby for a super-sized SBC special – your new Pick of the Month for February! Perfect to get a sneaky mention, in the week I attend the Beauty Bash! Watch out for the upcoming comp to win one on my blog and more news next week! Clue – it’s pink!
Also, here’s a sneaky peek at the Decleor supersize Collection launching on Saturday 25th – Fiona can’t wait to bring it to us and as usual it’s superb value!
P.S. – newsflash! Also it looks like there’ll be a replacement product of the month now that Gatineau’s Mask is selling out! It’s going to be a quick one, covering the rest of January so don’t miss it!
THIS WEEK – apart from the wonderful ‘gorgois’ Mally Today’s Special Value Saturday (18th) join me for:
- Back to You show 3 – Monday (20th) 9pm including a wonderful Hot Pick from Dennis Basso and our stunning Diamonique TSV ring as B2U gets all indulgent! Plus the launch of Jane’s Plan – see snippets above for info. Don’t miss it!
- Diamonique Week Returns Yes it’s a whole week of 7pm shows next week featuring Dale and Debbie doing Diamonique! Your favourite simulated diamond gets the spotlight each night, just like in the old days – remember those early years when it happened every other month? I’m in the hot seat on Wednesday 22nd at 7pm – join me then!
- Lenny TSV And am looking forward to the return of natty New Yorker Lenny with a new Today’s Special Value all day Wednesday (I have the 11pm slot!). Plus there’s a Kipling TSV on Friday next week too. More info about your fave shows can be found on our TV Guide.
NEXT WEEK – dining out with my pal, IT expert Lee Hohbein, and what happened at the annual Beauty Bash! And – if I make it – Catherine’s play!
Have a great week!
*TiFFT = Try it for The First Time club! Shhhh – watch out for big news about TiFFT’s when Back to You is over!
To read PREVIOUS QVC blogs go here
To keep in touch:
TWITTER: @debbieflint - follow me for behind the scenes updates & sneaky peeks of upcoming bargains
- My QVC facebook page - click ‘like’- or friend me on my personal one.
- QVC Facebook ‘Back to You Group’ is here
- Or leave a straightforward comment below – just write your comment, leave your name and your email (kept private), post and there you go! Easy! Looking forward to hearing from you!
Debbie’s Books on Amazon –
Hawaiian Escape, the prequel is also available on Amazon in eBook or paperback.
Till the Fat Lady Slims is my 2002 weight loss book all about eating like slim people do, following Food Freedom technique.
The Valentine’s Surprise is a short story proving it’s never too late to find your Sir Galahad!