Women are at their most beautiful at 31, according to new research. Forget teen pop stars and twenty-something screen sirens, women peak at 31 according to our recent QVC survey to celebrate July's Beauty Month.
Over 2000 men and women took part in the survey that found that when it comes to defining beauty, confidence (70%) beats looks (67%) and style (47%), and 31 is the age when women peak at not only their best looking, but also at their most confident and stylish. Interestingly, at 31 the average British woman is also already married and a mother (according to the National Office of Statistics).
- 55% women feel that they know the best make-up to wear to make them look their best
- 74% women feel that they always make an effort to look good
- 51% women reveal that as they have got older they have let go of insecurities and feel more beautiful
- 63% women agree with the statement 'with age, comes beauty'
- 63% women agree that as they get older they care less about what other people think of the way they look
And how do we spend our money?
Brits keen to make the most of their natural assets are spending an average of £111.29 per month on everything from gym memberships to hair appointments, beauty buys to clothing and accessory splurges.
Interestingly, it is men who are spending the most (£119.12), while women spend £105.50 - a saving of £163.44 per year. However, women admit that as they get older they anticipate that they will spend more (43% compared with 31% of men).
These findings suggest to us what we may have already suspected, that real beauty is about more than just good looks, but a combination of confidence, style and personality too!
Findings where you live
The research also highlighted some significant regional differences - with confident Londoners the most likely to rate themselves as beautiful (37%) compared with just 28% of those in Wales.
Respondents in the East Midlands are spending the most on looking good, spending an average £129.69 per month, while those in the North East spend just £95.63.