- How important are reviews to you? Whatever you’re buying?
- Pop up tearooms and tasty cakes – & meeting readers – faces-to-names time.
- Lovely lunch after wedding dress fitting with daughter-in-law to be!
- Sad Goodbyes to old friends
- Plus RCM candy nail colours & Pampered Pets alert! Dale’s performing pooch blooper!
TASTY CAKES AND CHARITY FUNDRAISER
Well, they did it! My lovely Lauren and her boyfriend Nick (pictured above) carried off their Wotton Church Fundraiser with aplomb, in a local village hall on Sunday.
Nick made some amazing cakes and it was a pleasure to help them organise it. The profits raised lots of money for the charity and they both very much enjoyed running the pop up tearooms.
Nick’s cakes were heavenly, I’m sure anyone who tasted them would agree. My fave was a gluten free almond and orange cake, and I have to admit I did a little taster of most of the offerings – which for me, Missus ‘doesn’t eat sugar’ here, it was a bit of a shock to the system (hence the sugar hangover afterwards – serves me right! Lol).
Still, it was a fun afternoon and we were lucky that the weather held out too.
MEET UP WITH THE READERS
They aided me in writing my first novel by giving feedback and opinions, in the closing stages. We’re all avid readers, as well as writers, so one of the top topics of discussion at the tearooms – well apart from QVC of course! – was reviews.
Now it got me to thinking – how important are reviews to you? We were discussing book reviews, but other products too.
‘Read It Write It Sell It’ – my regular book segment – will reveal some enlightening information for those wishing to self-publish – namely how important reviews are to people about to buy a book online. And of course, the same thing goes for QVC products.
So I have a question for you –
How important are customer reviews to YOU?
When you buy a book online, a holiday, or crucially – a QVC product? Let’s continue the debate here this week. Just leave me a comment at bottom of this blog to be counted. I’d love to know!
THE BELLS WILL BE RINGING…
Went with Lauren, early Saturday morning (am still recovering from the early alarm call…! Lol) and we had a nice lunch afterwards in a nearby Italian deli in Kingston.
It was lovely getting a sneaky peep at ‘the’ dress – very stylish! – can’t say more or I will be for the high jump! Lol.
But lovely Kari invited Lolly and me to go along to help offer suggestions and opinions about the alterations.
Then we went up the road to put the world to rights, before sent her back to my boy! Another nice day, and a definite TiFFT.* The biggest of all, of course, will be in October!
ANOTHER ANGEL HEADS FOR THE HEAVENS
Sadly you’ll probably know by now, if you’re active online, lovely model Amica lost her fight this week against the breast cancer she’s been battling for two years, and passed on peacefully at the hospice she’d gone to a few days beforehand.
Her hubby posted sadly on Facebook, and Will Gowing did a post on our QVC UK Facebook page.
If you’d like to add your thoughts there, do go to the QVCUK Facebook wall – some lovely comments for a lovely lady.
I’ve been asked to be one of the presenters on this year’s Breast Cancer Care – it will be particularly poignant I’m sure.
(For those who have been asking, the little vid that’s been doing the rounds on Facebook, of Amica’s speech a couple of years ago, will be posted on the LINK home page LINK of my own website, for anyone who would like to see it.) And I hope you enjoy this lovely pic of the two gorgeous girls, how we all remember them.
STILL TO COME… fascinating canine facts, sneaky peeks and focus on The Newsroom…
Read it Write It Sell It – my weekly look at all things book.
How fab is this? Ordered mine on three pay in my weekend show – arrived yesterday – speedy or what! Lulu Guinness’ ‘don’t judge a book by its cover’ pencil case – just right for this week’s RiWiSi pic!
This week, Hawaiian Affair reviews have topped 100 five stars – now 112 out of 122 – across all the different versions, both instalments and complete books. Am so proud.
One more week till the complete PG eBook version of my first novel Hawaiian Affair goes on Amazon – at 99p! Prepare to download it! And watch out next week if you don’t know how to – I’m creating a video guide!
Click here to read more on the RiWiSi page on my website www.debbieflint.com. You can also find out
- The Next Big stars of the book world – which Woman&Home predictions do you agree with?
- Does an agent look at an author’s reviews? What one top London agent thinks.
- And what do readers say? Survey results may surprise you.
- Go here to read on…
Now it’s her first ever attempt at self-publishing, and she’s done it all herself, so I’m very proud of her. Do add your comment if you can, if you buy it, as she’s nearly ready to upload her first full length novel after this but is full of nerves about it all. I said she shouldn’t be – see what you think.
It’d be great if you give this short story – ‘The Thrill of the Chase’ – a little look! Click here to see it on amazon.
Next week on RiWiSi – An insider’s guide to self-publishing – how is it done? A success story from guest blogger Emily Harvale. And how can you read books on kindle – without having to own a kindle? A video guide…
Not really an outtake as such, but thought the pet lovers amongst you might like to see Dale’s performing pooch – what will he do for a Pet Munchie?! Lol How cute! If I get the chance, it’ll be Gracie who I bring into work with me for the Pampered Pets hour Friday 6pm (16th – see below).
[Having trouble viewing this video? See YouTube's Help page]
- As you might know, I have four Labradors! So they’ve chosen me to present the next hour. So I do hope the animal lovers amongst you will join me for Friday’s (19th) 6pm Pampered Pets show (on QVC Live).
If you’re an early reader of this weekly blog and see this in time! If you miss it, I’ll post some clips on my website soon after! (www.debbieflint.com)
Daughter Lauren rang me and alerted me to it and I’m glad she did. Being a fascinating facts lover, here are some for you-
• Did you know there are more shapes, sizes and varieties in the dog world than any other mammal on earth?
• Dogs’ eyes have only two colour receptors unlike our three, making them a little colour blind – often why a dog will ignore an orange toy in the green grass – better to give them something blue.
• They can hear things four times farther away and twice as high pitched as we can.
• A dog’s brain is one tenth the size of ours, but the part controlling smell is 40 times larger – and they have up to 300m scent glands in the nose compared to our 5 million; also a wet nose maximises the number of scent molecules from the air – so powerful they can smell things from the past – days, weeks, even months after they’ve happened.
It features some super facts, & adorable dogs. Look on YouTube for some great clips.
Now the red button is no longer operative, you can see other choices on THREE other channels if what’s on live doesn’t appeal to you – including the existing QVC Beauty (Sky 658, Freesat 816 and Freeview part day ch 35.)
Yay! To find out more click here.
- Had a lovely get together with my siblings to mark my deceased dad’s birthday. Bless him, he would have been 74 this month! It’s always very funny when mum and her motley crue gather in one place, and a good time was had by all!
Then early this week, my little great-neice came round to see her ‘Uncle Debbie’ – yes really – bless! Along with her mum and auntie Heather. Nice to spend a bit of time with family!
- And finally a Facebook funny for you – doing the rounds and very appropriate for this weekend’s events – so I thought I’d share it!
Is this you? If so, join the club! Mind you, after this week’s sugar hangover, I won’t be doing that again in a hurry! lolx
WATCH – ‘The Newsroom’ – ohhhhh I so love this series! Series one is currently being repeated on Sky Atlantic, or available on DVD or download – here’s a trailer.
I love it because it reminds me a bit of being a production assistant in the Piccadilly Radio Newsroom in Manchester in the mid 80s… (well, a bit!).
I love the way the plotlines echo real life headlines and I adore some of the characters, like Jim Harper and Olivia Munn (who reminds me a bit of my pal LJ Rich).
Do catch the rest of it before the new series starts in September – I’m giving it 8.75 out of ten for a TV series – high, for me! Here’s the Series 2 trailer.
PLUS – watch out for the next Stephen King/Spielberg outing ‘Under the Dome’ – series premieres on channel 5 Monday 19th at 10pm.
P.S. also – next week, on August 22nd – Jane Horrocks’ supermarket sitcom ‘Trollied’ is back on Sky. Love it! If you’ve never seen, it, watch this!
Guess I’ll be filling up my Sky+ box again soon! Lol x
QVC – SNEAKY PEEKS – OK so the 23rd is drawing ever nearer, so I thought I’d sneak you a peek at the other set of Red Carpet Manicure options in the upcoming Today’s Special Value – join me and sis Linda midnight on Thurs 22nd for the launch! And how about these happy colours!?
Plus – a new product called Vitamix, for healthy eating, will be here weekend after next… they’re letting me loose in the kitchen with it – should be fun!
QVC – THIS WEEK
- Friday 16th 6pm – if you see this in time do join me! My Pampered Pets show will include a fab grooming tool and the return of the raised dog bowl as well as five star rated munchy treats back in stock. Here’s what I got out of my labrador’s coats with the clever Moult Master.
- Antthony is back! Join me Monday 19th at 5pm, and if you can’t wait here’s a web-only last click bargain of his, that I just ordered.
Plus – Tiffany Lamp TSV Monday 19th – limited edition too! As well as making cool shadows on the wall!
- Wed 21st 6pm, Ammolite is back with Korite Ken at 6pm – join me for real fossil jewellery! Meanwhile here’s some amazing clearance priced earrings!
Next week, it’s here! The complete PG version in eBook on amazon, of Hawaiian Affair, my first novel; PLUS a self-publishing success story and tips on how to do it yourself; and supper with Lee Hohbein!
Plus – who will win the great QVC Lily-growing presenters’ challenge? Join me – but don’t forget to leave me a comment below about whether you use reviews to help you choose to buy something.
*TiFFT – Try it For The First Time club – do something different every month, that you’ve never done before!
P.S. – Don’t forget to leave me a comment below!
P.P. S. Keep in touch! Do follow me on Twitter for behind the scenes updates about upcoming bargains etc!
Twitter – @debbieflint
My QVC facebook page – click ‘like’- https://www.facebook.com/DebbieFlintQvc
Via my new website – sign up for regular email newsletters – www.debbieflint.co.uk
Or leave a straightforward comment below – just write your comment, leave your name and your email (kept private), post and there you go! Easy! Looking forward to hearing from you!
Nb – to read other blogs from Debbie Flint go here – http://blogs.qvcuk.com/debbie_flint/