We hope you're all looking forward to tomorrow's (Thursday 19th April) Today's Special Value offer from cook's essentials – a fantastic microwave low pressure cooker!
With this pressure cooker you can create yummy, healthy meals for all the family without all the effort and mess. Here are some recipe ideas from cook's essentials guest Simon Brown to get you started…
This is a classic, and delicious, Victorian dish of thin slices of beef rolled around a meaty stuffing then braised in beef gravy for up to 2 hours, or just 17 minutes in the cook’s essentials pressure cooker!
- 2 rashers smoked streaky bacon
- 1 small onion
- 2 mushrooms
- 2tbsp cook's essentials Rapeseed Oil
- 2 good quality beef sausages
- 40g/1½oz fresh breadcrumbs
- 1tsp fresh chopped thyme
- 1tbsp fresh chopped parsley
- Salt and pepper
- 350g/12oz beef topside in two slices (2.5cm/1" thick)
- 1tsp plain flour
- ¼ pt beef stock
- Finely chop the bacon, peel and finely chop the onion and chop the mushrooms. Heat 1tbsp of the Rapeseed Oil in a frying pan and gently fry the bacon, onion and mushroom for about 10 minutes until softened. Transfer to a mixing bowl. Skin the sausages, discarding the skin, and add to the bowl with the breadcrumbs, herbs and seasoning and mix together thoroughly to form a stuffing.
- Now take two sheets of greaseproof paper, wet the surface of each (wetting the paper prevents the meat from sticking) and place one piece of the beef on each and fold the paper over. Use a rolling pin to beat the meat out until it is about 5mm/¼" thick then cut each piece in half across the middle. Take a quarter of the stuffing and shape into a sausage then place at one end of one of the pieces of beef and roll up and secure with a couple of cocktail sticks. Repeat with the rest of the stuffing and beef.
- Add the remaining Rapeseed Oil to the frying pan and brown the stuffed beef olives on both sides over a high heat then transfer to the base of the cook's essentials microwave pressure cooker. Spoon the flour into a bowl and gradually blend in the stock then pour over the beef. Fit the lid to the pressure cooker and lock closed.
- Cook for 17 minutes in a 900 watt microwave oven. Allow to stand for about five minutes until the blue pressure indicator has dropped, then open, remove the cocktail sticks from the beef and serve with mashed or jacket potatoes and steamed green vegetables.
Date and walnut puddings with butter toffee dipping sauce
These individual steamed puddings are a last chance to sample a real winter warmer before the summer comes, and are especially delicious served with the cook's essentials Butter Toffee Dipping Sauce.
- 85g/3oz chopped dried dates
- 100ml/3½ floz boiling water
- 25g/1oz butter
- 55g/2oz soft light brown sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- ½tsp vanilla extract
- 25g/1oz walnut pieces
- 85g/ 3oz self raising flour
- ½tsp baking powder
- cook's essentials Butter Toffee Dipping Sauce
- double cream
- Place the dates in a small bowl and add the boiling water and leave to soak for about 30 minutes. Meanwhile, melt the butter in a small bowl in a microwave oven. Mix together the dates and their liquid, the melted butter and all the remaining ingredients in a mixing bowl and beat until well mixed.
- Oil four individual ramekins then take 30cm x 10cm (12" x 4") strips of oiled baking paper and wrap around the outside of each to form a collar, securing with an elastic band. Spoon the mixture into the ramekins and level the surface. Place two of the ramekins into the base of the cook's essentials microwave pressure cooker and add 150ml/¼pt cold water. Fit the lid to the pressure cooker and lock closed. Cook for 5 minutes in a 900 watt microwave oven.
- Allow to stand for a couple of minutes until the blue pressure indicator has dropped, then open and remove the puddings and cover to keep warm. Empty and replace the water then cook the remaining two puddings.
- Run a knife around each pudding and turn out onto warm plates. Spoon a couple of tablespoonfuls of the butter toffee dipping sauce onto the top of each pudding then serve with some double cream.
We hope you enjoy trying out these recipes in your new cook's essentials microwave pressure cooker. Make sure you tune in throughout the day tomorrow for this fantastic Today's Special Value offer!
View the full cook's essentials range here
Browse our entire kitchen department