I have had the recipe for a while and finally got round to trying it on Monday as we were having a barbecue and I thought it would make a nice dessert served warm with vanilla ice cream and a glass of chilled white wine. I was right – a real winner – so I thought I would share my recipe as I haven't done one for a while.
1 large Bramley apple (about 8oz)
8oz self-raising flour
1tsp baking powder
half a teaspoon cinnamon
4oz cold butter (I use Brittany butter with sea salt in it)
4oz golden caster sugar
2 medium eggs, beaten
Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
1. Preheat oven to 190C (Gas Mark 5), and lightly grease 20cm/8 inch cake tin (preferably springform base)
2. Peel and core the apple and cut into quarters. Dice 3 quarters and finely slice the other
3. Put flour, baking powder and cinnamon into a mixing bowl and rub in diced butter to form breadcrumbs
4. Add the sugar, diced apple and lemon zest then gradually stir in the beaten eggs
5. Spoon into cake tin and level the surface. Arrange the apple slices on the top of the cake.
6. Bake for 30 – 35 minutes until springy to the touch. Remove from oven and immediately sprinkle with a couple of teaspoons of golden caster sugar. Leave to cool slightly (about 10 minutes) and then serve warm with vanilla ice cream.
Go on – treat yourself! Have a great weekend
Love, Julia xx