- John Barrowman pressing Charlie’s buttons on Anything Goes!
- Divided by a common language – some surprising Americanisms!
- Sunshine on a rainy day – the last of the sunny LA pics
- Funny, funny bloopers – incl Alison Young losing it on air
- Plus – as promised – Lincoln film review, and The Sapphires
What an incredibly fun show Anything Goes was! Several funny clips here for you this week! Plus the winner of the RCM comp is announced, and how to be in the know ahead of time for some of our best bargains!
JOHN BARROWMAN HAVOC ON ANYTHING GOES!
On Saturday it was my first Anything Goes show since early January, so how chuffed was I to find out that not only John Barrowman but also Glynis Barber would be on it! We had so many sell outs – including John’s skincare set, so I’m thrilled to tell you it’ll be available again on next week’s show too (9th).
So there was Charlie, trying to show you what to do with the Body Tech ab belt, when all of a sudden this happened – it’ll go down in the annuals of QVC history that’s for sure! Lol.
John couldn’t stop talking about what he’d done afterwards – here he is in the prep room straight after that item, letting us in on what was really going on that you maybe couldn’t see!
It seemed to inspire our normally quite conservative Charlie to get a bit mischievous – if you see what he’s talking about in this clip, you may raise your eyebrows a little! Hehe!
I had a great time also trying some face yoga with Glynis Barber – it’s part of her Yoga DVD if you didn’t know already – ten minutes is devoted to that. Here’s us and Gill Gauntlett giving it a go, courtesy of nice Howard the instructor – come on, try it at home!
Thanks to those who said I won the gurning competition! Yeh, cheers for that! Lol! All good fun tho. See below for more news about what’s on this weekend’s show!
Now there was another funny little moment I caught on an Elemis show this week! Alison Young never lets us down does she! Here she is having, as she called it, a ‘blonde moment’!
Apart from a couple of mild sunny days of late, the worst thing about being back from my LA holiday is the weather. This was the hotel pool – where on the day we left, a film crew were arriving to shoot ‘The Newsroom’ – fab US TV series. In fact, there were so few people staying and swimming that it became ‘my’ pool!
It meant I could lark around a little! Got some wicked exercise tho! And some more lovely memories to look back on now I’m back in the damp and the cold!
Now it’s well known that I love America, LA and San Diego in particular. But if someone doesn’t tell you, there are certain conventions out there which can definitely throw the average tourist. Here’s a few of the ones I’ve picked up over the years…
– they call the ground floor ‘first floor’ – so if your room is on the ‘4th floor’ of the hotel, you’ll be three stories up.
– mobile calls – you pay to receive calls and texts as well as make them
- prices on goods in supermarket shelves are net – tax is added at the till. So when I bought my ‘blast from the past’ Penta, I paid about 8% extra on top of the price ticket (this was the product we sold when I ran my importing business)
- biscuits are actually scones and you have them with your dinner, like a bread roll. English muffins are crumpets. Pancakes at breakfast come with maple syrup plus eggs n bacon on same plate, bacon is inevitably crispy.
- take a kettle – rooms have coffee makers, not kettles, and no tea bags. They also mostly serve this weird concoction called ‘half and half’ instead of milk – it’s – yes you’ve guessed it – half milk and half cream!
- you have to pay for petrol up front at the ‘gas’ station. Petrol is only $4 to $5 per gallon (x per litre) and they moan about it!
It was an amazing trip once again, packed, and I came back really zonked – went to bed at 2am on Friday night, and woke up at 4pm Saturday afternoon – 14 hours straight! Too bad I hadn't had much sleep on the plane – too busy looking at sights like this one – looks like the window is smiling at me!
AND FINALLY –
It’s Mother’s Day on Sunday, so here are a couple of plaques I saw in a shop in Ventura Boulevard in LA, specially for all those mums out there this Sunday!
- This Sunday it was my lovely son Brad’s 26th birthday – yes, 26th! Eek! In four years’ time I’ll have a 30 year old son – how’s that even POSSIBLE!!
Anyway, we all went to have a lovely dinner at Carluccios in Wimbledon Village – one of our favourite towns – we all have fond memories of going for a milkshake in Tootsies, no longer there sadly. But it was lovely to see Lolly too, down with her man Nick.
- It’s 'Read An E-book Week'! Am currently lucky enough to be in touch with a couple of dozen lovely Facebook ladies who are all helping me proof-read and sanity-check my final edit of my romance novel. They are, in effect, e-book reading!
Do you enjoy e-books? Have a Kindle? Well apparently this week it’s been Read An E-book Week! Who knew!? Click here for the link to tell you more. (link to www.ebookweek.com/ ) And for those that have asked, if you’d like to become one of the first to buy my book, I’m setting up a yahoo group to let you all know when it’s available. More news next week!
- Facebook Ahhhh! – And another one. It’s less ‘the lion sleeps tonight’ and more The Lion Gives its Rescuer a Cuddle!
The caption said that this lion was found in a terrible state injured in a forest, on the verge of death, and taken home and cared for by the lady in this video, then released into a zoo sanctuary when it was all better. It was several months before she returned to visit him, but just look what happened when he saw her! Amazing, huh? And heartwarming!
- P.S. – well done to ‘lashes’ (also known as Edel McKeown) on Twitter, the lucky winner of the RCM competition! Chosen at random from all those entered on either my blog or Twitter up until closing deadline – there were over 230 of you! Another comp next month!
WATCH – First on this week's ‘what to watch’ section, a quick bit of Hot Gossip! Apparently one of my all time film heroes Harrison Ford has signed up to be in the sequel to one of my son Brad’s fave movies – Anchorman 2 (also starring one certain Paul Rudd *sigh*) and so has Bridesmaids star, Kirsten Wiig.
And whilst I was googling more info about them, this popped up online – Star Wars actors then and now – some have aged far better than others that’s for sure!
Click here to see the full gallery…
LINCOLN – On the plane home from LA, I got to see Lincoln. It’s a long movie, but very well done – natch, it IS a Spielberg! It’s not so much about war, or slavery, more about political unrest and the behind the scenes machinations and devious tricks that President Lincoln had to resort to, to get emancipation through the house and abolished back in the mid 1800s.
I must admit although I can see why Daniel Day Lewis got his Best Actor Oscar (albeit with a slightly dodgy accent occasionally), he seemed to me to be more obviously acting. The star of the film in my opinion was undoubtedly Sally Field, whom I loved in more recent TV series Brothers and Sisters (did you ever see it? Sooo like my family of five siblings!). She laughed, she cried, she was charming, she cried some more, then she really howled.
Too bad this year she was pitched against Anne ‘Les Mis’ Hathaway – any other year she’d have been a shoo-in for an Oscar! Anyway the film itself gets a deserved 8.5 out of ten from me – more for the performances than the subject matter – it was very good, but overlong, otherwise it would have got more!
And a quick final review – another of my favourite actors – Chris O’Dowd, stars in The Sapphires, which I also saw on the plane (along with about ten episodes of drama series The Newsroom, which is fab!). It’s set in the Vietnam war, where racism is still rife, and follows the funny fortunes of four aborigine girls as they tour soldiers' camps in Saigon and sing soul (very well actually) to the squaddies.
Chris plays their manager. Harmless way to spend an hour and a half or so – and gets a decent 7.25. Worth a watch on Sky films when it comes out or DVD post-rental but don’t buy it. But I will look for the soundtrack!
QVC SNEAKY PEEK
Anyone remember when the lovely Anita Harris and a model chap called Rhydian (I think) used to be our guests on QVC for the body belts and pads? Anyway this is an interesting head-piece that’s easy to use and looks like something sci-fi. Will keep you informed how I get on!
And a reminder to follow me on Twitter – @debbieFlint – I tell you secrets! Like this one – a teaser pic of the imminent Bargain Hunter for Together Fashions with Jenny last Sunday, which I posted for you just before TX (that’s telly term for transmission!).
Those in the know got inere fast and the pink top sold out within minutes!
QVC COMING UP THIS WEEK
- ANYTHING GOES – Yes on this week’s crazy Saturday Night show, not only Pipa and myself hosting, but also appearing will be Debbie G in the IT/Twitter/Facebook hotseat, plus our very own Julia, AND John Barrowman plus many more! (9th, 8-10pm).
- Julia is going to be talking more about her fab autobiographical hardback book that’s already sold about three quarters of the current stock. I’d like to know any questions you’d like to ask her about her life, being on QVC, the Price is Right, a dancer, on the Benny Hill show etc!
Make sure you tweet both her and me (or @qvcuk on the night) and we will do our best to answer you on Saturday! @debbieflint or @juliarobertsQVC by 7pm Saturday 9th
- Other highlights in the week ahead include – Sunday (10th) there’s a Tom Tom Today’s Special Value – if it lasts, I will be on with it during the 10pm show, after which lovely Lulu is back with her Timebomb skincare – love her neck cream!
- And on Tuesday it’s the long-awaited supersize Decleor TSV day! Book your place in front of the TV ladies!
- And finally if you’re relatively new or just like looking behind the scenes, I’ll be with you at 5pm on Thursday (14th) for a special Inside QVC show. Tweet me what you love about your favourite shopping channel and I may read it out live on air!
Next week – what will my lovely son Brad have treated me to for Mother’s Day? Enjoy your one on Sunday, and I’ll see you on air, or back here next week!
PS – Do leave me a comment on the blog above!
Twitter- @debbieflint - follow me for updates, secrets and insider info on upcoming bargains!
My QVC facebook page – click ‘like’- https://www.facebook.com/DebbieFlintQvcUk
Or leave a straightforward comment below – just post and there you go! Easy! Looking forward to hearing from you!