Today we’re so excited to be sharing some summer tips and tricks from Liz Earle ambassador Caroline Archer. Here are just a few of her suggestions to keep your skin looking gorgeous all summer long!
“The return of the feel-good sunshine on our skin also brings other considerations. While we all enjoy a vitamin D boost, skin can become a little topsy-turvy when summer arrives.
Oilier skins may find the sun helps counteract the natural oiliness in their skin through the drying effect of sunshine, however, the warmer weather can lead to breakouts for a lot of us, exacerbated by SPFs and the fact that we perspire more in summer. The skin’s natural barrier, the acid mantle, is formed partly of our natural oils (sebum) as well as sweat, so any alteration in the balance of this can result in skin changes such as redness, inflammation or dryness.
For me, the critical summer skin ‘must-do’ essentials are:
1. Be religious about cleansing thoroughly with Cleanse & Polish twice a day to remove SPF, perspiration and impurities. You might also need to wash your cotton cloth after every use (invest in a pack). If you’re living or working in a city environment, it’s even more critical to stick to your twice-daily routine to keep skin feeling fresh and clean amidst pollution.
2. Apply SPF every day when it’s hot – whether it’s a regular SPF, chemical or physical sunscreen (we prefer the latter), just keep doing it. Don’t forget your children either! A peaked cap or wide-brimmed sunhat is a great way of offering some extra protection too.
3. Exfoliate thoroughly at least twice a week – this helps lift away impurities and keeps skin feeling clean and fresh. Gentle Face Exfoliator is perfect for this, and it’s super easy to use in the shower too. I tend to use it two times a week on the nights that I use our Superskin Overnight Mask to help intensively replenish lost moisture, which is increased by sunbathing or perspiration.
4. When you cleanse, extend your cleansing to your décolletage, and even behind your ears. Perspiration in these areas can lead to clogged pores and breakouts.
5. Hot, sticky nights also affect skin – make sure you wash pillow cases more regularly and definitely wash your pillows themselves too.
6. Keep your Instant Boost Skin Tonic Spritzer cool for a real hit of refreshment (I keep my larger size in the fridge and the mini in my car door, for on-the-go use). It is THE BEST cool-down refresher I’ve ever found, and it contains aloe vera and cucumber to leave a fresh veil of moisture on skin.
7. Now is the time to reassess your moisturiser too – if you’re using a serum or SPF daily, you might need to step down the richness of your moisturiser. Many people find they love Skin Repair Light moisturiser in the summer months – it’s the perfect lightweight hit of hydration!
8. I also love to water my garden in the lighter evenings and really take that time to unwind and relax. I once heard Monty Don say that at this time of the year, you can almost hear the garden growing. I love that sentiment and try to make this watering time my mindful time too. Little skincare attentions like the above can really help you in the coming months.
9. Just keep it simple and keep hydrated from the inside out, for the most radiant-looking skin. And if the sun doesn’t shine, we always have our Sheer Skin Tint Bronzing Fluid!”
Which Liz Earle products do you love to use in the summer? Make sure you leave a comment below with your answer!