Ah the autumn, the time of year that Keats referred to as the ‘season of mists and mellow fruitfulness’, has been glorious recently. Can you tell I am now over my two-three week annual dread of the summer going and winter approaching? I am, instead, appreciating the beauty of the gorgeous autumn we are having. That said, this morning it did feel a little like we had skipped autumn altogether and gone directly to winter!
The colours of the changing leaves has been particularly beautiful this year, so much so I have had to keep stopping and taking a moment to marvel at their glory. Nature truly is wonderful! I feel blessed to be here and be able to appreciate it all.
Given my annual dread of autumn, and given the fact that I often think of autumn as a bit of a ‘nothing’ time of year, I decided to have a look at what was all about, and it turns out that it is, actually, quite an interesting time of the year. Here are some autumnal facts:
- Research shows that babies born in autumn are more likely to live to 100 years of age. How many of you are autumn babies? Would you like to live to be 100?
- Although we call it autumn and our American cousins call it ‘fall’, up until the 16th century it was called ‘harvest’.
- Those who live closest to or on the equator never experience autumn.
- The full moon closest to the autumn equinox is called the Harvest Moon (before electricity and artificial lighting the harvest moon was essential to farmers to bring in the harvest).
- No movie with autumn in the title has ever won an Oscar. Movies with spring, summer, winter in the title have all won one Oscar each.
- Research has found that during the cooler months of autumn, men are more likely to cosy up with their sweethearts and watch romantic comedies. Feeling cold activates a yearning for warmth and comfort with others. So grab your Slanket and get your Cozee Home or Northern Nights fleece bedding out and get snuggling ladies!
- A study in the journal ‘Perception’ noted that men think women are more attractive in the cooler seasons. One theory is to do with the ‘contrast effect’, which relates to the fact that women are much more covered up compared to summer time and causes men’s ‘attractiveness criteria’ to shift. So it’s definitely time to get wrapped up in your Centigrade coat or your Frank Usher wrap and pop on a great lippy like our current Beauty Product of the Month from Bareminerals and go get ‘em girls!
Having learned all of this I am starting to change my opinion of autumn. It is actual quite an awesome season!
Until next time,